Monday, November 2, 2009

No Bad Ghosts or Nasty Witches at Our House!

It's a beautiful Monday, I got some much needed sleep last night, and I'm home alone today.  It's a good day.  I know I've mentioned it before, but I get so much more done when My Bob is on the road and out of the house.  I love him dearly and don't mean this in a mean way, but he gets on my nerves when he's working at home.  Love him dearly, though, just want to emphasize!! (in case he reads this)
We had a nice Halloween weekend, but we were both so exhausted yesterday.  For me, it was more of a bone weary tired, not a need to take a nap weary.  There's a difference for me.  I don't like to take naps because I have too many things to do, but sometimes I just need to sit, knit and be alone.  Sit and knit is how I felt last night.
I know you all want to know how the Candy Corn martinis turned out. (see last post)  Well, they were good, but wayyyy tooo strong.  It struck me after the first sip that, "Hey, these are all alcohol!"  If I added more ice and let more candy corn dissolve in it, it was better.  I would play with this recipe next time I do it by adding something non-alcohol to cut it down a little.  The cupcakes turned out very Halloweenish and tasted good, too, as did the sloppy joes.

The grandsons looked adorable and loved the evening.  Logan was black spiderman and Landen was the Joker and looked like a little midget. 


                      



                               Here's Logan casting his web



And I was complete with my annual cat ears and fur collar and my little Fergie the pumpkin head with my dad, dressed as my dad.




The boys were very hyped as you can imagine and Austin and Melissa asked if the boys could spend the night with us because they were having a few friends over for the evening.  Of course we agreed and love to have the boys, but way too much sugar for them was very tiring for Nina and Bobby (that's what they call us).  They didn't want to go to sleep, but finally after two movies fell asleep around 10:00.  Awww! Rest!  But not for long ---- they were awake at 6:00 am, which was now 5:00 am.  And they would not go back to sleep or even quit talking.  So up we got, no choice.  I don't remember by own two boys being quite this active and loud, although I'm sure they were.  It's funny how 25 years of age makes things seem louder and busier.
Their mom and dad came for them around noon the next day and that was none too soon.  My son walks in the door with a big pumpkin/flower arrangement for me.  It had been a stressful couple of weeks for Austin and Melissa and I had  a long talk with Austin on Friday night and then a long talk with Melissa on Saturday.  Melissa and I don't always see eye to eye and can rub each other the wrong way, but I think we both felt better after our talk.  I walk a tightrope between trying to be helpful and minding my own business.  I know I fall off that tightrope often, but sometimes I can't help myself.  I guess this was a time I must have got it right.  The card attached to the arrangement said, "We don't tell you often enough what a wonderful mother, grandmother and friend you are.  Thanks for everything, Love,  Austin, Melissa and boys."  Made me want to cry!




It's a real pumpkin and real flowers!

Then Austin handed me a couple of his Air Force uniform dress shirts that needed stripes sewn on and some buttons fixed.  But I don't mind at all.

7 comments:

Snooty Primadona said...

Ah, yes! The age old dilemma of how to deal with husbands when they are all of a sudden home. Admittedly, they are quite annoying, although I won't go into specific details. That would just be too cruel.

Your drinks and pumpkin flower arrangement are lovely!

Theresa said...

Cute kid costumes and you look gorgeus in you kitty ears! Sweet flowers, very nice gesture. I know it isn't easy but it sounds like you handle things very well. Have a blessed evening!

Lillian Robinson said...

WOW! You sure must've said the right things! I definitely would have cried.

And as far as the Bob thing... he probably knows.

SquirrelQueen said...

Glad to hear you are getting some 'me' time, I think we all need that. I imagine it would be difficult to have a hubby around all the time but it's going to be awhile before I know for sure.

It sounds like you had a great weekend. Have a wonderful week.

Judy

Lisa said...

Candy corn martini? What a great idea!

What a beautiful pumpkin arrangement! I'm so with you on the tightrope walk with the kids ... congratulations on finding the right balance!

DJan said...

That is quite the tightrope you have to walk between them. It must feel good to have gotten it right. You are a very special person in many people's lives, including mine. I love your stream of consciousness writing because it brings you right into my house. Blessings to you, lovely Nina.

Grandma Lizzie's House said...

I love your pumpkin flower arrangement. So creative.

BlogCatalog

Family Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Stumble Upon