Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Happy Anniversary -- to us

Today is the 30th anniversary of the day back in 1979 that My Bob and I eloped.  And "They" all said it wouldn't last!!  Proved "Them" all wrong, didn't we?  We were very young way back then and we both had jobs, although not great jobs.  We found a cute little apartment that was brand new and way outside of Cincinnati so we could afford it.  We had one car and drove together every day to work in downtown Cincinnati.  And we were very happy.  I shouldn't probably admit to everyone, but we were already living together and that bothered us a little.  So one day Bob came by my office at lunch time and said, "Let's go get a marriage license and blood test", and I was game for the adventure so that's what we did.  I think it was three days later, we went to a Justice of the Peace in Covington, Kentucky, paid him $25.00 and we were married in the living room of this drunk JP, while the Bengal game was playing on his TV.  Took all of about 10 minutes.  Then we went to dinner,  went back to our cute little apartment, and back to work the next day.  (We love to tell this story, it's true)  I don't think we told anyone for two weeks, but we felt really good about our little secret.   But the more time that went by, the guiltier I felt for not letting my mother and dad know.  Then the longer we waited, I started to become afraid to tell them.  We went to my mother first when she was alone and Dad at work as she was less intimidating than Dad and her reaction wasn't too bad.  At least she acted just fine.  I'm sure deep down she was a little upset that her only daughter didn't have a wedding and a wedding dress.  Heck, I didn't even have an engagement or wedding ring!  After hugging us and welcoming Bob to the family, we asked her to please tell Dad for us.  That was a no go.  She wouldn't do it and told us we had to tell him ourselves and we had to do it that night.  We stayed for dinner and when Dad got home we broke the good news.  And guess what?  He was wonderful, too.  (At least on the surface).  He hugged me, shook Bob's hand, and welcomed him to the family.  Mom and Dad then insisted that we have a large reception that they would host and pay for.  For over three months we planned a very nice event with a Valentine theme and on February 9, 1980, our wedding reception took place.
If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.  We saved ourselves and my parents a lot of money.  We figured being married is being married.  We're not big party people.  Mom and Dad still rub it in once in a while on our anniversary.  They tell us they don't remember the date very well because they weren't there.   We feel we got married for all the right reasons.  I wasn't pregnant, we didn't feel we had to wait until we had some money or a big house or another car, and we loved each other.  And here we are, 30 years later, a big house, two cars, two wonderful sons,  three beautiful grandchildren, and we still love each other.  Isn't that what it's all about?
Now a lot has happened in between November 3, 1979, and November 3, 2009, for good and for not so good, for better and for worse, through sickness and health.  But again, isn't that what marriage means.  You stay together for the bad, worse and sickness.  I tell young people that will listen, that each hurdle and obstacle you work through and make it over, you are stronger and more in love on the other side of it.
I have to give some credit to the wonderful role models in my life, my grandparents, married 73 years and still living, and my parents, married 53 years.  Setting a good example sometimes says a lot more than words. 
We're not doing anything special today to celebrate.  Just like out wedding, why spend money on something that's not necessary.  Mom and Dad are taking us to dinner.  We're saving our money for our trip to visit Brandon and family in  Spokane the end of this month and for home improvement projects on our short list.  Home and family is what's important to us now.  I don't need another diamond ring. 
30 years!! I feel pretty safe in saying we're in it for the long haul now.


11 comments:

SquirrelQueen said...

Happy Anniversary! What a great story, and 'they' were most definitely wrong. We will be celebrating our fifteenth later this month, like you we skipped the big wedding.

Have a great day,
Judy

Theresa said...

Beautiful couple, beautiful story! I hope the two of you will be forever happy! Have a blessed day!

Snooty Primadona said...

Congratulations! You know I know how difficult it can be to stay married, but the pay-off really is now, isn't it? We stuck with it & now we have partners that will stay with us & love us to the end. Who could ask for anything more?

Annette said...

Congratulations!! We celebrated our 30th earlier this year!

DJan said...

What a wonderful story, Nina! And you're right: you got married for all the right reasons, and nobody had to shell out a lot of money for something that may or may not work out (these days anyway). I've been married more than once, but the one I've got now is a real winner, and you're right about going through stuff only brings you closer, if you let it and have faith on your side.

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

Oh, Happy Anniversary. How romantic. My grandmother eloped. Many people think of grandmothers as not being romantic or sexual, but I like the idea that she was so in love with my grandfather. May you have many more happy years.

Margaret said...

What a beautiful story, no not a story a life event. Happiness begins in the heart, and when two hearts beat at the same tune it shows, your photo is beautiful. Congratulations from one whose 49th anniversary is tomorrow.

Rae said...

Congratulations. Thirty years is quite an accomplishment. Hope you are still blogging for the 50th and we will have a big big celebration!!

Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary! What a great-looking -- and sensible -- couple! Congrats on 30 years!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Happy Anniversary! I loved reading this about how you got married. My husband and I have been married 30 years also and we eloped, except that everyone knew we were doing it. Have a wonderful day! Twyla

Lillian Robinson said...

Lovely story! No, the hokey-pokey isn't what it's all about... you got it right!

So do you also celebrate the reception in February?

BlogCatalog

Family Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Stumble Upon